Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Final Countdown: Elections!

Last year I was all about the local council elections. With the focus this year on the Presidential Election, Queen City Survey has not had much election news to pass along. I will say three things . . .

1.) Vote!
Downtown Resident’s Council email had some great links for some basic information. Check out their website link at the right.

2.) Issue 8 - Proportional Response
I have been trying to put down my thoughts on Proportional Response in some clear, concise way. I can’t. I’ve been working on a post for over a month. In short, I am not for it. I think looking at electing council via a ward system and with some at-large members has merit (as has been proposed and discussed) but I do not agree with Proportional Response. I do not, in the end, think it serves the greater good. I honestly think it benefits minor fringe candidates. I am voting no on Issue 8.

3.) Television
The plus side of the elections is that Bravo is airing one of my favorite shows, The West Wing.

2 comments:

steve-o said...

In my opposition to Issue 8, I never stated that I would support a ward-style system. The current way of electing the council isn't great, but PR clearly isn't it.

Dan said...

I hope I didn't imply that you did Steve. And I am not sold on a ward system either but I certainly think looking at it and deciding on a comprehensive plan makes sense. Just glad PR went down. I was worried for a bit because it was ahead.