Monday, August 18, 2008

We named the horse ‘Cincinnati’.

Doing a bit of research for an upcoming "Raise the Rutherford!" post, I stumbled on the fact that General Ulysses Grant’s favorite war horse was named Cincinnati.

"… [Cincinnati] was the son of Lexington, one of the fastest racehorses of the time and property of General William Tecumseh Sherman. General Grant was given Cincinnati as a gift in 1864 and rarely allowed anyone else to ride him. General Grant rode Cincinnati throughout the war and to his surrender meeting with General Robert E. Lee. The horse stayed with Grant at the White House after he became president and lived until 1878. Grant’s other horses included Methuselah, Rondy, Fox, Jack, Jeff Davis and Kangaroo."


This is probably interesting to no one but me …

References:
Photo of Grant on horseback from the website Son of the South.

2 comments:

hellogerard said...

Haha, I like how one of his horses was named "Jeff Davis."

Veggie Option said...

Dude, I LOVE the Son of the South website. So glad you gave it a shout out. :)

I've been tracing my family genealogy for a number of years and am compiling all my ancestors' Civil War military and pension records. Son of the South is indispensible to me.