Friday, February 29, 2008

Weekend Warm-Up: February 29 – March 2

My recommendations for something to do this weekend.

Another busy weekend.

First off, The Bockfest Sausage Queen Competition continues. As I mentioned before, we have preliminary rounds at Buddakhan’s on February 29th and at Milton’s on March 1st, both at 10:00 pm. It will be hard to beat Ms. Gypsy Russell.

Also as I have mentioned, the Art of Food Opening Reception is tonight at the Carnegie. On the Ohio side of the river it is again Final Fridays in Over the Rhine. I’d like to note that the Cincinnati Form Follows Function exhibit moves to Park + Vine beginning with Final Friday and a reception tomorrow from 6:00 – 9:00 pm. It is a look back at some of the city’s 20th century architectural treasures.

"From its world-class Art Deco Union Terminal train station to the many mid-century homes tucked into its seven hillsides, Cincinnati is blessed with a rich tradition of modern architectural design. The CF3 curated exhibit included both images and artifacts. The organization's efforts to document and preserve have included homes designed by such international stars as Frank Lloyd Wright and George Nelson as well as dwellings by homegrown favorites Abe Dombar, Woodie Garber, Ray Roush and Carl Strauss."
In my opinion preservation and adaptive reuse is about as green as it gets, so it makes sense for the exhibit to find a home at Park + Vine for a couple of months.

Finally, the musical "Little Women" opens at CCM tonight. Their big spring musical runs through March 9. I would like to make a confession: I love the Winona Ryder movie version. But I am not sold on it as a musical. However, I am intrigued and I hear it is pretty good and the sets are nice. So check CCM’s website for details. I might try and see if I can squeeze in a matinee.

No comments: