Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Cincinnati Ballet: A Nut to Crack

There is an article in today’s Enquirer on Cincinnati Ballet’s move of The Nutcracker to the Aronoff from Music Hall. I think I am more pissed off about it now than I was before. First, the reason for the move was a "scheduling conflict". The Cincinnati Pops scheduled a concert December 12 – 14. The Ballet, understandably, wanted two weekend performances before Christmas and the Pops concert would not allow for that. So they move to the Aronoff to get two weekend performances in before Christmas? NO, they do not! They decide to move one weekend, December 12 – 14, to Indianapolis! Then the remaining time will be at the Aronoff. So I ask, if one was going to do that, then they could still have all Cincinnati performances at Music Hall. There was no reason to move. Moving to Indianapolis while the Pops had their concerts solved their "scheduling conflicts". Correct?! Am I missing something? It just does not add up to me. I’m calling shenanigans.

I’m feeling particularly feisty on this issue. I want to hold protest signs out in front of the Aronoff on opening night tomorrow. I got a bullhorn too. I might just yell "shenanigans, shenanigans, shenanigans," all night long . . .

No comments: