Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Baedeker: 2009 Summer Vacation

Rehoboth Beach and Cape Henlopen State Park, DE, and Annapolis, MD

Part I – Rehoboth Beach


A multipart series chronically sites of my 2009 summer vacation

This was my second year vacationing in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. Needless to say, I love it. Since I took some photos around town last year I didn’t do much of that. Here are just a handful of shots . . .

So last year I rented a bike for the day. I did that again but decided on a route along Route 1 through the town of Dewey Beach and into the Delaware Seashore State Park. The state park occupies the land between the Atlantic Ocean and Rehoboth Bay. I took a few pictures of a historic Indian River Life-Saving Station, first erected in 1876. (It got moved in 1877 and late modified)

Note: Much of the Delaware Shore is connected by either dedicated bike paths or dedicated hike and bike lanes adjacent to Route 1 and other main arteries. Here is a picture of the lane I’m talking about. The photo is from Atlantic Cycles, which is the rental store where I’ve rented my bike for the last two years. They are fantastic, affordable, and generous with their rental times. (For example a half-day rental goes until 7:00 PM!)

Next: Part II – Cape Henlopen State Park

No comments: