Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Afternoon Zoo

This post is dedicated to my father who would have been 81 today.

Wanting a "Cincinnati" thing to do to mark my father’s birthday, I decided to go to the Cincinnati Zoo (on Sunday). When I was young, my father was the parent who would always take us to the zoo. He would take off work – which was rare – and we would go every summer. We’d always bring a sack of bread and bag of peanuts to feed the ducks and elephants back when one could still do that. I always remember riding the train (which is closed in winter) and I always remember going to that café near the entrance to get something eat.
The zoo has changed much since I had been there with my father. But the cat house still smelled bad.

This peacock was NOT happy.
Some of the new baby Galapagos Tortoises!
Japanese Macaques
This gazelle got a stick stuck in her horns.
Emperor Penguins

The penguins were chatty.


From January 5th to February 28th, tickets are half price and I was pleased with how many animals were out and about. It was a little cold but not too bad actually and I warmed up when I went inside to see the manatees, the penguins, the insects . . .

1 comment:

hellogerard said...

The penguins were obviously debating the economic stimulus package.