Sunday, August 31, 2008

Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

2622 Gilbert Avenue, Walnut Hills

So when I read this post on The Catholic Telegraph Photography Project Blog, I could not picture a Catholic church on Gilbert Avenue. I could only think of St. Francis DeSales in East Walnut Hills. So the other day I went to find it. Turns out, I had seen it many times I just never knew it was a Catholic Church.
Completed around 1870 (I have also seen the date 1874), the church was formerly known as the Church of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Originally for Irish speaking Catholics, it was carved out of three parishes: Holy Angles in Mt. Auburn, St. Francis DeSales in East Walnut Hills, and St. George in Clifton Heights. I am not sure who designed it but I am working on it. I'll see if I turn anything up.

So there is very little signage and I seriously am wondering if it has not closed. I'm looking in to that too.
References:
Historic image from the Library's Cincinnati Memory Project.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks, Dan, for the current photos of Assumption Church and the link to my post at The Catholic Telegraph Photography project. Assumption is an active parish; Father Thomas Bokenkotter is the pastor.

According to a parish centennial commemorative booklet, Assumption was organized June 12, 1872. The cornerstone of the present church was laid Sept. 7, 1884, and the structure was dedicated Aug. 16 of the following year. The CT's files have no information about the architect.

You have an outstanding blog here. Keep up the good work!

WalnutHillsMike said...

Albert C. Nash was the renowned architect.
You can learn more about him in Wickipedia.