Friday, August 1, 2008

BuyCincy: Queen City Survey Edition

The longer I live downtown, the lazier I get. During the week I really do not want to get in the car and run the errands I need to do to get the stuff I sometimes need. I find I am changing my shopping habits to try and locate stores downtown and Over the Rhine that have those sorts of random things I would normally pick up at a big box store. You might be surprised by what you can find nearby when you think about it.

Take for instance, a charger for my iPod. I bought my iPod at a big box electronics store on Glenway. They were out of wall outlet chargers however. So I wondered if there was a place I could run and pick one up at lunch. The Radio Shack in Tower Place ended up accommodating my needs very nicely.

Some weeks ago I needed some rope. Having a truck I occasionally get the "If you aren’t doing anything, do you think you could help me move something?" Well I wanted to make sure I had some rope handy in case I needed it. (I did.) So instinctively I thought of running to Lowes or Home Depot. But I really didn’t want to drive to the Westside or Ridge Avenue. So I wondered in to Acme Lock & Hardware, Inc. and sure enough they actually have a nice supply of all kinds and lengths of rope. Who knew I’d have to decide upon nylon, cotton, or jute?

Then planning a party, I wanted to get some of those rolls of paper tickets that one passes out for raffles, drinks or such. Well Cappel’s happens to have a nice selection in a variety of colors. And then I realized they have all kinds of party supplies like paper plates, cups, platters, etc. and I just never really thought about it before.

Address, phone numbers and hours from gototown.com

Radio Shack
441 Vine St.,
Carew Tower
Cincinnati, OH 45202
Hours: M-F 9-7; Sat 10-6
Tel: (513) 684-0213

Acme Lock & Hardware, Inc.
925 Main St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202
Hours: M-F 7-5
Tel: (513) 241-2614

Cappel's
920 Elm St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202
Hours: M-F 9-5:30; Sat 9-5
Tel: (513) 621-0952

2 comments:

5chw4r7z said...

I'm the same way Dan, and one other thing, you'd be surprised, or at least I am, by what you can find in Walgreens.
A co-worker asked if we drive to Newport to see movies and I told him I'm too lazy to drive and we just walk over. "WALK" he said, "I won't call that lazy".
OK maybe the wrong word.

Dan said...

I agree Walgreens is actually pretty good. The only place in Downtown to get semi-sweet chocolate chips. (Avril's carries milk chocolate.) You'd be surprsed how many time I need to get them.

I used to go to a friend's house on Sycamore, near the top of the hill and I'd walk. Too lazy to get the car out. He always said walking up that hill wasn't lazy!