Monday, April 7, 2008

Cincinnati March(itecture) Madness

Overtime!

Are you kidding me?! The readers of Queen City Survey have produced a tie between Union Terminal and Music Hall for the best building in Cincinnati in the inaugural Cincinnati March(itecture) Madness Tournament.

Voting at the end of regulation stood at 11 to 11. Union Terminal 'built' an early lead over the weekend but Music Hall closed the gap within the final hours. Interestingly, it got its final vote with about 15 minutes to spare.

So with that we are in overtime baby! Which means that as stated on March 2 for our 'Play In Game', in the event of a tie, I will cast the deciding vote and select the winner.

I am, however, not going to reveal the winner now. I am going to allow the voters one more opportunity to let their voice be heard. By responding to this post in the comments, tell me what building got your vote and why. Let me hear your rationale and persuade me to vote for your favorite. I have a good idea who I think should win (or who I want to win) but YOU put me in this situation so I thought I'd prolong the suspense!

Winner will be announced tomorrow evening at 9:00 PM!


To view the entire 2008 Cincinnati March(itecture) Madness Tournament Bracket, click here.

4 comments:

Chris S said...

There's no doubt that the terminal is iconic, but Music Hall is one of a kind, and located in a one of a kind neighborhood. This is why I voted for music hall.

dew said...

Awe-inspiring.
Classic yet modern.
Iconic.

Union Terminal, baby.

Kevin LeMaster said...

"Interestingly, it got its final vote with about 15 minutes to spare."

That was me! And that's my reason for my vote...this overtime is my fault.

I love CUT, but Music Hall is just mind-blowingly cool. It's massive, it's majestic, and it's integrated into a neighborhood.

And it still (basically) serves its original purpose.

Nate Sturdevant said...

Well, hmm...I voted for Music Hall but it's going to be difficult to explain why. I must admit, I've only seen the building in person one time back in high school--which was amusing because we all filled out cards about ourselves and being idiot high-schoolers wouldn't stop cutting up about the box under ethnicities for "Appalachian." Anyway, I've certainly spent an embarrassing amount of time staring at pictures of it on the Internet--but that's something everyone does, right? Yes, if we take Internet-staring into account I think music Hall wins.

Union Terminal I have some fond memories of visiting as a wee lad. The mosaics, of course, were especially striking. And it's great that it's been re-purposed as something other than lousy condos and can thrive in its own right. And come to think of it, I watched all those videos on the Enquirer site about people's memories so that probably qualifies as "Internet staring" and I now I must reevaluate my position.

But Kevin LeMaster brings up a valid point in that Music Hall does more or less serve its original purpose, which is great. And I'm also totally jazzed about the opera season this summer. So, in the end it's probably the usage that will tip me over. But that takes something more than just the building itself into account. It takes my desire to wear a frou-frou cravat and have a night at the opera, which doesn't exactly jive in a straightforward architectural discussion.

Of course, I don't live in the 'Nati, either, and I never have, but my parents are from there and I've been considering a move for a little while. And actually, come to think of it, I don't think I remembered to vote at all in the final game. Oops. And this is without a doubt the longest 'blog post I've ever written and it doesn't even come to a conclusion. So, those are my thoughts.