Thursday, March 27, 2008

Bengals and Bearcats and Muskies oh my.

A couple of Cincinnati sports related items from the week and weekend.

First, Xavier advances to the Sweet 16 of the Men’s NCAA Tournament. They play the Bob Huggin’s coached West Virginia Mountaineers tomorrow at 7:10 pm. In my bracket I have Xavier advancing to the Elite 8 so best of luck! Sadly, the Xavier women’s team lost in their first game of the Women’s tournament.

Late last week the Bengals made an offer to Colt’s Tight End Ben Utecht. The Colts did not match the offer and Utecht is expected to arrive this week in Cincinnati. I personally like the signing and like the addition of a Tight End in our passing schemes which hasn’t been there too much in the Marvin Lewis Era. The news on Monday however was that Chad Johnson has not reported to spring camp. I wonder how this will play out.


Lastly, I renewed my UC Football Season Tickets however a couple of points I found interesting in the process . . .
  1. Season ticket prices went up $50 from $182 last year to $232 for 2008 for six homes games. This still includes, as it had in 2007, a $50 credit for a bowl game ticket. I guess I am ok with it however a nearly 22% increase in ticket prices seemed a little steep.

  2. A change for next year at the stadium is that the UC football team will be on the east sideline instead of the west sideline. It makes sense for the reasons they gave. They also are moving visiting fans to other sections. My group of family and friends are thinking of moving to the east side now but only if we can get our seats, which are in a UCAT section, together like we have this year . . .

  3. Speaking of UCATS, UCAT membership is also going up. UCATS is the Bearcat Booster program and all the seats at Nippert Stadium with backs are seats that require a UCAT membership. Price varied last year from $50 to $2000 depending on how close to the 50 yard line one was. For 2008 a $50 membership will be $100. And a $500 membership is going up to $600. (I didn’t even ask about the $1000 or $2000 membership levels.)

So I understand the need for these increases as a result of trying to be competitive in the Big East, however my total costs are going up by a minimum of $100 over last year and I just wanted to get it off my chest.

1 comment:

WestEnder said...

I'm thrilled about the Utrecht acquisition; I think more serious utilization of the TE position can be a great asset for the offense.

Having said that, it's the defense that is in sore need of bolstering.