Sunday, November 4, 2007

Bravo! Bravo!

I got a somewhat late invitation to go to the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra and having not been in a rather long time and with nothing else really planned for Saturday evening, I jumped at the chance. I think the last time I saw them was actually when I was in grade school. I've been been to the Opera recently and the Nutcracker at Music Hall recently but not the Symphony.

So my friend and I first went to diner at the Symphony Hotel. I had never been but she had a number of times. The Symphony Hotel Bed & Breakfast is at 210 W. 14th Street. Begun in 1995 the restored building, designed by James McLaughlin in 1871, has a small dining room and rooms available for overnight stays. Each room is named after a famous composer. Dinner is "light French" and the prix fix meal includes five courses. When you make a reservation you must tell them your entree choice. Overall I though it was well worth the $38.00 and the food was pretty good.
So now to the Symphony. The performance had gotten a really good review in the Enquirer. But I will admit, I am not all that in to classical music. I am also not very musically inclined. So I do not think I am qualified or have the credentials to make an educated critique for instance. But I think I know when something I hear is good. And it this case I thought it was very good.

The show consisted of three pieces. The first two were by Stavinsky, part of the "Stravinsky Festival" and they were accompanied by the May Festival Chorus. I probably enjoyed the second piece, Symphony of Psalms the most before Intermission. However, it was the second half of the show, Beethoven's Symphony No. 3, Eroica, that was absolutely incredible. The review in the Enquirer said the following and I would agree from even my limited knowledge:

"In step with the trend of 'period' performance, his tempos were exceedingly quick. Short bows, prominent timpani drumrolls and crisply articulated phrases created an unusual lightness of spirit. It was adrenalin-charged and the musicians played like virtuosos."

The applause after went on and on. It was so good and everyone in that room seemed to think so. If symphony music can be like that I must go more often. Bravo! Bravo!

No comments: