Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Restaurant Review: Shanghai Mama's

I generally meet friends for drinks after work on Tuesdays. We have decided to break tradition and venture out for dinner in lieu of just staying our 'Happy Hour' place as we have for years. First up: Shanghai Mama’s. Now I admit it, but I had never been to Shanghai Mama’s before. Tried to go once on a Sunday, but they were closed. And while I know many who have been there after the bars close on Fridays & Saturdays (open until 3:00 am), I have not. Getting too old I guess. (Note: I do think there is a market for a downtown restaurant that stays open until 3:00 or 3:30 am that serves cheap, breakfast, comfort food for the hung over.)

So I was impressed with the quality of the food, service and the value of what you get for the money. I have a general rule of thumb on Chinese restaurants: If I like your eggroll, I usually like my meal. Here, the eggroll passed with flying colors. Friends ordered the Shanghai Dumplings and I tried one and they were pretty good as well . . . Hearing they make all their own noodles, my entrĂ©e had to be a noodle dish: Beef Lo Mein for $7.50. It was excellent – fresh, flavorful, with a bit of a kick (as I ordered it). And it was so big it will actually be dinner tonight as well.

Along with Doodles in Hyde Park, I imagine Shanghai Mama’s is going to be one of my favorite places for Chinese in the city.

1 comment:

5chw4r7z said...

Hey I'm getting up there also and don't stay up late very often, but as a side bonus for guys, as Ms. 5chw4r7z and my sister-in-law put it, around 2am the "clevage bus" drops off a couple dozen drunk chicks. ;-D